Thursday, March 6, 2014

Basement Demo

This past weekend we did some work on the basement and pretty much ripped everything out! There was what looked like a dance floor and a kitchen/bar area with a big table in the middle. We kept the table for a work bench, but we ripped everything else out! 

The eventual plan is to make it a finished basement-drywall on the walls and ceilings, and new flooring and lighting. I didn't get there is time to take a picture of the floor before my Dad started ripping it up, but I was able to get one shot of what was left.

What was left of the "dance" floor when I arrived...there were lots of interesting stains, that's for sure :)
 Once all of the floor was up, we moved our attention to the wall. We want an open design, so we tore it down. It didn't take long, but I learned a valuable lesson...

The wall before

My failed attempt in action

So the picture on the left is my attempt in about a minute. The one on the right is my Dad's side in about the same amount of time. Lesson? While hitting a wall over and over again with a sledge hammer may feel good, using your brain gets demo done much faster. He made a couple of simple holes and then started just ripping the drywall off. Much more effective. Then, we were able to easily knock my side down from his exposed side.

Down to the studs

Then, we started on taking down the old cabinets.



And the cabinets are gone :) 


Tomorrow, they are going to start on the roof. Here are a few more pictures of the roof on the back of the house that has the second hole, which I didn't post the other day:

Back of the house

Detail of the damage

Shingles falling in

Different angle

Gutters falling off

Soffit
You can click on the pictures to make them even bigger!

I can't wait to see the new roof going up! It's going to make such a difference! I will post pictures of the progress and post them this weekend.

Thanks for reading! I hope you are all are having a great week!




0 comments:

Post a Comment