Saturday, April 26, 2014

yard work 2

Wow! I didn't realize how long it has been since I updated the blog! We have done a lot of yard work.We did the new landscaping, and its almost done. Like I said in the previous post about yard work, we first cleared everything out. Then we tried to kill as many weeds as possible. We got all of the plants from Watkins. The bushes seem tiny right now, especially against the porch, but they grow pretty fast. Plus sometimes when you are on a budget, you have to go with the cheaper choice :)

We also dug up a lot of the daffodils and tulips and replanted them along the front walk. No, it's not the normal time to replant bulbs, but I read some blogs online that said it was okay....so I figured we might as well give it a shot. It was either give it a try and hope they survive, or stick them in the garbage bag, where they obviously would have no chance at all!  Once they die off for the year, my plan is to get some summer flowers (petunias or something similar---cheap and hardy are the two key requirements). Here are some pictures:









Leo is in the process of burying the border pavers into the ground about halfway, so that they don't stick up as much and also that they are sturdy and not going anywhere. We then have to add the mulch.

I bought some weed killer last week to try to kill off the weeds (we have a slight weed issue--they're everywhere). It was Round-up to be exact. But I've never really been comfortable knowing all of the chemicals that is in it. So I went to Pinterest, as I do for so many things, and found a general consensus on a more natural weed killer that is quite effective. Some even said it was better than Round-up at killing their weeds. It is 1/2 gallon of apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup of salt, and 1 tsp Dawn liquid dish soap. I might try it tomorrow or Monday...I will let you all know how it goes!


-Katie



2 comments:

  1. How did the all natural weed killer work, Katie? You can replant any time of the year. The one thing that it will affect is next year's blooms, but they should all survive just fine. In fact, probably better since it's cooler temps right now and they'll have a chance to grow roots before the summer's heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We bought the ingredients today but I don't think we will try it until this rain passes through, so we can make sure it isn't washed away by the rain! But I will let you know! And thank you for the reassurance on the bulbs...I can't wait to see them next year!

    ReplyDelete